Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Record Memories

I grew up in Middletown on Pearl St., one block from the high school. My sister is just one year older than me so we had the same friends. Before school our girl friends had to walk by our house so it was natural that they would stop in, and of course one thing led to another, and out came the portable record player and whatever new 45 record we had. We were late for school on more than one occasion. Our first 45 record came from our cousins who lived in New York [WOW]. They were always ahead of the music game and Rhythm and Blues was big there. I think our first 45 might have been Earth Angel by the Penguins. We're talking the 50's here, life was simpler then....and o lot of fun.
Jeanne Calhoun
 
I can remember having to listen to my sister's favorite songs which were very lovely soft songs such as Bing Crosby and Grace Kelly,Frank Sinatra etc..she being seven years my senior was always the quite and demure one in our household..She absolutely flew out of her room one day when she heard some of MY music and started ranting at me to TURN DOWN THAT HORRIBLE MUSIC!...45's such as Rock around the Clock ( Bill Haley and the Comets),Jailhouse Rock and Blue Suede Shoes(Elvis of course), Party Doll ( Buddy Holly),Sheri(Frankie Vallie and the Four Seasons) etc..I kept my Frankie Avalon and Fabian scrapbooks on top of my record player when not in use..but the most vivid memory I have was coming home from school and turning on American Bandstand EVERY DAY!!!..then after the show I would go up to my room, turn on the phonograph( remember that word?) and dancing like they did on TV in front of the full view mirror on my closet door...I also would take my hairbrush handle and pretend I was Brenda Lee singing Rocking Around the Christmas Tree etc....yes, call it weird but that was my recollection of my phonograph..it went to college with me too as did my collection of 45's in their tiny little box with a lock and handle! I still have those 45's ..I do think some are collecables too!
-Susann Costa